Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Cupcakes and Books


 So.  Yesterday at work, we had a meeting and because everyone is doing SUCH a good job, we had cupcakes.  Oh. my. gosh.  The one you see here to the left is called the 'Caramel Sugar Mama'.  Holy cow.  It is caramel cake topped with caramel buttercream frosting, drizzled with caramel and topped with Sugar Babies.  Do you remember Sugar Babies?  Thought they disappeared sometime in my late childhood.  I heard several people say that the frosting was the best thing they had ever eaten in their life.   The second type we had was the 'White Midnight Magic'.  My personal favorite.  Dark chocolate cake with dark chocolate chips topped with white cream cheese frosting and chocolate chips.  Heaven.  


 
The last type (pictured above) is called 'Kentucky Bourban Pie'.  We didn't actually have this kind, but zOMG.  Doesn't it look DIVINE??  It is bourban cake with pecans and chocolate chips, topped with cream cheese frosting, pecans, chocolate chips, and drizzled with caramel and ganache.  Do I really need to say anything else?  Yes, I am completely positive that these concoctions have 4,000 calories and require 33 hours on the treadmill to burn off the calories ingested, but I really have not tasted anything better. 

So.  On to the books.  I just finished 'Night Road' by Kristin Hannah.  Have you guys ever read anything by KH?  She's really a wonderfully 'feel good' kind of author.  The story 'Night Road' is about a set of twins (boy and girl) and their less fortunate friend.  The twins, Mia and Zack, have a great life, physician father, stay-at-home mother - they are very blessed.  The friend, Lexi, becomes Mia's best friend and the love of Zack's life.  In their senior year, tragedy befalls Mia, Zack and Lexi.  (WARNING: SPOILER ALERT)  At a party, Mia and Zack get blisteringly drunk, Lexi less so.  Anyway, Lexi ends up trying to drive everyone home and has an accident, killing Mia.  Long story short, Lexi ends up in prison, pregnant with Zack's child.  I know it doesn't sound like it, but this is a GREAT book.  It starts out golden and wonderful, then falls apart.  Although it has a rough middle, the ending is very uplifting, with Zack and Lexi trying again.  My absolute favorite line in the book is something Lexi says after her daughter, Gracie, is born.  "She says when God forgives you, he grants you Grace."  <snif>  I would probably give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars.  I really liked this one.

Another one written by KH that I read is 'Winter Garden'.  This one is about two daughters, Meredith and Nina, who try to get closer to their emotionally distant Russian-born mother after the death of their father.  This one was a little bit harder for me to like as it is not quite as feel-good.  The mother is not as likeable.  But as you progress in the book, you understand why the mother is so strange and distant - as she shares a story that happened in WWII Leningrad.  It is a heartbreaking story.  I like it, but maybe only a 3 out of 5. 




 Most of KH's books (I think I've read them all) are definitely worth the read, but I especially liked 'Firefly Lane'.  (Probably even better than 'Night Road', but only because it is not as sad)  It is a coming of age story of two best friends, Kate and Tully.  You'll love it.  If I had to choose only one of hers to read, it would be this one. (Although the Amazon.com book review called it a little too 'Lifetime' tv, I think it is great and it has just a little bit of an edge to it.)

I don't know if she's got anything new coming out, but I would think not very soon, since 'Night Road' is still so new (available only in hardback).  Anyway, let me know what you think of KH and DEFINITELY let me know in the comments if you have any new books you think I should read!!

I'll leave you with one last cupcake. Gigi's cupcakes.  Available in Auburn and across the country.  Ch-c-c-check them out!! (Look.  I warned you that I was a nerd.) The Cherry Limeade cupcake (this one's for you, Helen!!)



Cherry cake topped with lime icing, sugar crystals and a straw!!  Whoa.  Wish I could make a cupcake that looked like that.  Mine usually look like:



Happy reading!!  Talk to yall later!!

No comments:

Post a Comment