Thursday, September 8, 2011

My Favorite Things

Hi everyone!!  I was reading another blog earlier today and saw a blog that listed the author's favorite things.  I thought that was kind of fun, so I wanted to share my all time favorite books with you!  Actually, I was going to list the top FIVE books, but yall know me...I can never limit myself to just FIVE.  I was able to narrow it down to SIX.

Number SIX:
Are you surprised??  Guys, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Nora Roberts.  I mean I love everything she writes, but this one is one of my absolute favorites.  It takes place in Ireland, with an American writer as one of the main characters.  It is part of a trilogy (What IS it with all of the trilogies lately?  Have you noticed that they are everywhere??  WHEW.) and all of the books in the trilogy are worth the read but this is an excellent read.  NR is an intelligent writer and, well, she just makes you feel good.

Number FIVE:
Is there anything to say about this book?  I love it.  I re-read it every year.  Do yall remember reading this in high school?  I don't think I really appreciated it then...but after we watched the movie (note to self:  another movie that was probably as good as the book) I really got into the plot and read it.  Very very good read.  You know, sometimes classics are hard to read (like Jane Austen's 'Emma'.  Great book, a little hard to read, though. Imho anyway.)



Number FOUR:
Another great classic here.  Frances Hodgson Burnett co-authored another great classic entitled 'The Secret Garden', which is a good one.  Even if you have boys, I think they would enjoy 'The Secret Garden'.  'A Little Princess' is a wonderful story about a very rich little girl, whose father dies and she is left orphaned.  The world is very cruel to her, she is hungry and has to leave school to work...but things turn around in the end and the story leaves you almost glowing.  If you haven't read this book in awhile (or, heaven forbid, ever..) you should give it a whirl.

Number THREE:
Honestly, I didn't think I'd like this one.  It is about a family from Georgia that goes to Africa on a Christian mission (father is a preacher) and so much happens there to change their lives.  Barbara Kingsolver is a wonderful writer and each chapter is written in a different character's voice.  You also learn a lot about Africa and its political history.  Now, let me be honest...I DO NOT like historical or political novels...but this book does it in a kind of sneaky way, so you end up being a lot more knowledgable about Africa than you were when you started.

Number TWO:
 


I've probably said enough about this book.  Read it.  That is all.

Number ONE:



Best book ever.  A little confusing.  And, for those of you that saw the movie, it definitely does not do the book justice.  (I know, I know...I'm biased against the movies when I've read the book first.  Sorry!)

Okay.  That's it.  Let me know what YOUR favorite books are!  I'm trying to get a guest blogger on, my BFF, because she likes a whole DIFFERENT type of book than I do.  Let me hear ya HOLLA!!  Holla for the guest blogga!!  (heh.  I'm sincerely sorry. I apologize for that.)

One last thing.  My top FIVE foods:

Number FIVE:


Anything cherry.

Number FOUR:



Little Debbie Christmas Tree Cakes.  Beats the pants off of Oatmeal Creme Pies.  Limitation:  Only available after Thanksgiving.  :/

Number THREE:



Olive Garden Salad.  You know you agree.

Number TWO:



Shotgun Dan's pizza.  Totally worth the trip to Sherwood, Arkansas for it.

Number ONE:



Chick-fil-A sauce on waffle fries.  Nirvana.


1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite books as a young girl was "Sara Crewe"...recognize the name from The Little Princess?...you should...it's one and the same. The Shirley Temple Movie was also titled "The Little Princess". It's a little corney, but I watched it again a couple of months ago (available on Netflix). Aunt Shell

    ReplyDelete