Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Old Teenage Favorites

Hey everybody!!  How's it going today?  It's still hot in Alabama.  I was thinking about what books I read as a teenager.  I spent a lot of my childhood reading - I loved to spend the weekend at my Grandma's house, because I could read ALL weekend long (and she made homemade pizza every Saturday for lunch.  Who knew it was so easy to become a favorite Grandma?) I got to thinking about what I read - there was a lot of Judy Blume, some Beverly Cleary...other angst filled teen romances.  I read Sylvia Plath's 'The Bell Jar' and 'Go Ask Alice' Anonymous.  But my favorite thing to do on the weekends was read comics...I know, I know (remember, this is before comics were cool).

Remember the Archie comic series?  Oh my GOSH, I loved this series!  Do you guys remember Archie and Jughead?  Betty and Veronica? (were you Team Betty or Team Veronica?  This was so before Team Edward and Team Jacob.  And, btw, I was totally Team Betty)

Remember 'Forever' by Judy Blume?  About Katherine and Michael?  This was my first 'grown up' book, where the main characters were in an 'adult' relationship.  (Have you noticed the completely out of proportion number of 'quotation' marks in this paragraph?)  I don't know if my Mom would have objected to this book, but I got it into my head that she would have, so I hid it.  (I'm completely sure she must have known I had it - in fact, who else could have bought it for me?)  But this book ran rampant through the, what, 7th grade?  Wonder what ever happened to that book?  Wonder what happened to the rest of those books?

I also liked 'Deenie' by Judy Blume.  Did you guys ever read this one?  It was about a girl whose mother wanted her to be a model, but in a routine check, the doctor found out she had scoliosis and she had to start wearing a back brace.  (Remember those 'routine' scoliosis checks?  Do they still do those?  Hmm.  There are those pesky quotation marks again.)
  
'Tiger Eyes' was a good one, too.  The main character, Davey, is trying to cope with the murder of her father and she meets a young man named Wolf, who is dealing with a tragedy of his own, too.


Another one that I liked was 'Fifteen' by Beverly Cleary.  It is a pretty innocent romance, with the main story concentrating on the relationship between Jane  and her crush, Stan.  This book was originally published in the 1950s, so it is a pretty wholesome read.







Lastly, I just loved the Trixie Belden books.  I must have been younger, reading these, but they were just SO good!!  Trixie was a teenage sleuth (probably modeled after Nancy Drew), but she felt like a much more contemporary one. 


 Well, that's all for now, hope everyone has had a GREAT day!!  Talk soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment