Saturday, September 24, 2011

Fall

Well, as of September 23, it is officially fall in Auburn, AL.  That means highs in the low 80's and lows in the 60's.  It is beautiful outside.  Football weather.  And although I default to the Auburn Tigers when I have to, I'm actually a Razorback...and Arkansas plays Alabama today.  Wooooo Pig!!  Go Razorbacks!  Should be a good game - Arkansas is ranked #14 and Alabama is ranked #3. 


Just sayin.


Ironically, I just finished a book called 'Fall' by Colin McAdam.  On the surface, it sounds like a good book - takes place in a private boarding school where most of the characters are diplomats children.  The story is told by Noel, who is a bit of a loner, and is mostly about his relationsip with his roommate Julius (who is an athlete and revered by most everyone) and his girlfriend, Fall.  Fall disappears one day and the story of how this happen is very dark and horrifying.  I realize you might think I'm shallow, but I most often do not enjoy books that aren't 'feel good' or reveal a character that is unlikeable.  This book was that way.  I didn't feel good after reading it.  And I really had to force myself to finish it.  There are some that might enjoy this type of literature, but I didn't.  I wouldn't recommend this one.  Sorry, all.

So, in an effort to get the bad taste out of my mouth, I reverted to a couple of my favorites.  Now, I'm not big on the biographies, but I have to admit that Tori Spellings books are favorites of mine.  I picked up 'Mommywood' in an airport (impulse purchase much?) and SO enjoyed it.  I like how she comes across as such a normal person, with the daily struggle of balancing her career with motherhood and how the press is a constant presence in her life.  TS's books are funny and really enjoyable.  She's kind of kooky and worries about the funniest things - which is how I feel a lot of the time.  Crazy, isn't it, that I feel like I can relate to a major hollywood star, but that is how TS makes you feel.  She has invited you into her life and just really makes you feel like a part of it.  Many times, she says that people come up to her and speak like they are old friends, and that's how her books make you feel.  She has a real talent for coming across as very down-to-earth and approachable.

So while I was at it, I re-read 'Uncharted Territori', which is the book that follows 'Mommywood' and chronicles her struggles with her health, being the mother of 2 children under 3 and again, balancing work and home.  I really think these books are worth the read.  And I tell you, it is kind of decadent, the glimpses into what her uber-rich childhood must have been like.  Try it, I think you might be surprised!!  I know I was.  Pleasantly so.


Okay everybody, have a good weekend!!  We'll talk soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment