Saturday, September 17, 2011

Unwind

'Unwind' by Neal Shusterman was recommended to me by my running friend.  RF said it was a very unusual read.  I have to be honest and confess that I'm always looking for something unique to read.  Let me read the synopsis to you.  "The second Civil War was fought over reproductive rights.  The chilling resolution:  Life is inviolable from the moment of conception until age thirteen.  Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, parents can have their child 'unwound', whereby all of the child's organs are transplanted into different donors, so life doesn't technically end.  Connor is too difficult for his parents to control.  Risa, a ward of the state, is not talented enough to be kept alive.  And Lev is a tithe, a child conceived and raised to be unwound.  Together, they may have a chance to escape-and to survive."  <crickets>    Oh. my. gosh.  Sounds good, doesn't it?  I tell you that this book does not disappoint.  A definite must-read - I really enjoyed it. This book is intended for 7th grade and up, but great for adults, too. (how come the teens get all the good books?

I say that teens get all the good books, but one I read awhile back, 'The Gargoyle' by Andrew Davidson, is definitely a GREAT, unique read. 
If you haven't yet, you should read this.  It starts out a little harsh, with a car wreck where the main character is very badly burned.  While he's in the hospital, he meets Marianne, a sculptress of gargoyles.  It is sometimes a disturbing read,  but SO wonderful.  You'll love this book.  Trust me.


In the meantime, I have finished re-reading 'The Dead Zone' by Stephen King.  Someone had mentioned this book and I realized that I hadn't read it in YEARS, so I zipped over to the bookstore and picked it up.  I'm so glad I got it!!  This is not really your typical Stephen King horror story.  The main character, Johnny, falls into a coma for 5 (?) years, I think, and when he wakes up (long after anyone expects him to), he has developed a special ability...to occasionally see the future when he touches someone.  This is one to put on your list if you like SK, but don't especially like horror.  Another one to take a look at is his book of short stories, 'Just After Sunset'.  I really really love Stephen King, most especially his short stories.  He always surprises me.

Well, hope yall enjoy your Saturday!!  One last thing.  I really love Gerbera daisies (is the hub reading this blog??)


And chocolate cake with white icing.  :)



And pico de gallo.  The Pioneer Woman's recipe.  Have you checked out her blog and recipes?  You definitely to.  The web address is:


Check out her recipe section.  She has THE best cinnamon rolls (with maple icing) EVER.  And if I can make them, so can you.  One word of advice?  When you bake them?  Do it in a glass pan.  I did it in a metal 13 X 9 and they burned....but when I made them in glass?  They were DIVINE.




And her pico de gallo.  A must eat. 




Make some.  Eat it.  Today.  While reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment