Saturday, September 3, 2011

I'll Take Manhattan

I'm still on my 80s kick.  Just finished 'I'll Take Manhattan' by Judith Krantz.  I love this story!!  The main character is Maxi, who just should not be likeable as she is rich, beautiful and spoiled (totally unrelatable to me...I just bought a pair of gray capri leggings today and they are as wide as they are tall!!  eep.).  But you can't help but like Maxi.  She makes the wrong choices in men (and who among us haven't?), money (ditto) and careers.  But she's spunky, loyal and a fighter and you just have to like her.  After her father dies, her mother marries his brother and the brother proceeds to try to destroy Maxi's father's publishing empire - but Maxi fights back and comes through in the end...finding her true love and having a WONDERFUL daughter along the way.  Not deep, but definitely an entertaining beach read.

So.  What next?  I can't lie.  I'm currently reading a book of short stories by Jennifer Weiner called 'The Guy Not Taken'.  These are pretty good - I'll talk about them next time (there's a story in there that CRACKS me up, about a woman who is getting married and has been on the cabbage soup diet for 2 weeks and all she can do is fart - I can so RELATE.) Are you familiar with any of Jennifer Weiner's books?  'Good in Bed' or maybe 'Then Came You'?  Another good author - great beach read!

So what next?

I need to read 'Cataloochee' for my book club.


I also want to read one of my new Danielle Steel books that I picked up at the thrift store.  I got 'Zoya' and I really want to start that.




We'll see!  I'll let you know.  In the meantime, keep on reading and shopping yall!!

No comments:

Post a Comment